Denise Goldberg's blog

Feeding an addition
Rolling on 2 wheels from home to Portsmouth & back again

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Introduction

Feeding an addiction... An addiction to what? Can't you guess?



Looking back, written on May 23, 2007

I am addicted
Bicycle and camera
Touring, wandering

Active legs, eyes too
Pedal-powered, magic pics
Addicted am I!

The calendar says it's supposed to be spring; it seems like it's been gray and wet and cool for a very long time. I thought my early April escape to the warmth and red rocks of Zion National Park would settle my wanderlust for a while. It did for a short period of time, but my desire to wander on my bike keeps bubbling to the surface. It must be time for a short jaunt.

I've been watching (and waiting) for a good weather weekend all month, and until now a dry weekend has been well beyond my reach. All I really wanted was dry weather, with temperatures in the 60s. It's May; that should have been a very reasonable wish. As we entered this week, it looked like the upcoming weekend would be a good one - finally. But then... the weather wizard added the possibility of thunderstorms for Sunday. Hmmm... what to do? This morning I looked at the forecast and came up with what I think is a good solution. We're supposed to have a taste of summer for the next three days, with sunshine and temperatures inching into the 90s. That's warmer than I wanted, but I can use those days. I know, I'll take a vacation day on Friday and do a Friday-Saturday trip.

Planning? Not needed!

Where? Home to Portsmouth and back again... that's either a quick 2-day trip or a very long pedal across a big ocean. I'm headed for Portsmouth, New Hampshire, not the Portsmouth in the county of Hampshire on the south coast of the UK. Oh, you're right, I am playing games with names... silly!

And yes, my two-day wander will be a repeat of the roads that I wrote about in my journal Rolling by the shortest coastline last May. I promise that I will find different things to write about, and different things to photograph.

Please join me as I wander up that shortest coastline once again.


You're going to come visit the New Hampshire coast on your bicycle? I might consider getting out of the water once more to visit with you and to check out your two-wheeled transportation. Can I have a ride?
I'll be passing by what seems to be called home by three mute swans not once but twice - a benefit of my out-and-back route. I wonder if the swans will be close enough to pose for some more pictures...




Will the ocean entertain me with crashing waves? Or will it be a quiet water day? Or somewhere in between?
I look forward to having the ocean just a glance away as I ride along the shortest edge of New Hampshire.